Scrooge's other money bins?

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Tue Jul 23 07:17:52 CEST 2002

The "blue-prints" of Scrooge's Money Bin has recently been posted on
some websites, complete with dimensions in feet.  About 2 months ago I
noted on the DUCK-Hunt mail list that the dimensions of this bin are
much too small to hold 3 cubic acres of cash; since there's lots of
other stuff in these blueprints, there's not enough room for even 10% of
Scrooge's 3 cubic acres.   One possibility we considered was that not
all of Scrooge's 3 cubic acres of cash are in this bin.  Barks' story
"Statuesque Spendthrifts (C&S 138, March'52)" ends with Scrooge showing
the Maharajah of  Howduyustan his 3 cubic acres of cash in the basement
of his downtown Duckburg office building.  Now I've just re-read the
Gyro and Scrooge story "Pied Piper of Duckburg (H89174)", which was
started by Barks and finished by Don Rosa.  Indeed, on page 1, panel 5,
Scrooge complains to Gyro that rats are in his overflow bin, which is in
his Duckburg office building.  With this explicit reference to an
"overflow bin", I can accept the dimensions of the blue-prints for the
Killmotor Hill bin.   Scrooge built that bin early, then set out
building his world-wide business empire, and apparently accumulated much
more cash than he expected when he built the Killmotor Hill bin.  So
when he built his downtown office building, he included the big basement
bin and an overflow bin.