DCML digest, Vol 1 #966 - 13 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Sat Jun 15 18:54:04 CEST 2002

Cord:

>And what I bemoan even more is the lack of a complete reprint of Gottfredson's
Mickey strips.
>The "Mickey Mouse in Color" book is great and the reprints in Gladstone's
"Mickey Mouse"
>series have been much appreciated. But a complete edition in good quality like
the Barks library
>would be a dream come true.

Have to admit, "Mickey Mouse in Color" and the Gladstone Mickey comics were
incomplete efforts at best, and never meant to be (or eventually achieve)
definitive collections of Gottfredson. There was always the hope of doing
something of that sort, but, as with our abandoned Taliaferro collection,
too many obstacles lay in the path of doing it right.

The obstacles to doing the original Carl Barks Library "right" might have
dissuaded us from attempting it, too, except that it was the learning
experience that taught us the realities of doing such things. As it was
perceived (rightly or wrongly, though comics sales strongly indicated
rightly) that the audience for Gottfredson wasn't as sizeable it was for
Barks, and as we knew we would get far more interference from Disney and
have to put in a great deal more production effort on the material, the
numbers and the expectations just didn't come out in favor of a Floyd
Gottfredson Library.

Let's hope that one day that picture will change, and it will happen. Dreams
are good.

Gary