digital comics

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sun Jun 16 15:03:46 CEST 2002

Cord Wiljes:
>> I put great faith in the future of digital media. I hope to see
>> all the great strips of the past in digital form to be read on
>> an eBook display.

Frank Bubacz:
> It's not the same feeling as having a comic in your hands, isn't it?  <:-(
> But let's dream on: For a "Gottfredson Library", a complete "Taliaferro
> Library" and a "Scarpa Library". And, for the nostalgics, a "Murry Library"
> etc. etc. etc. ;-)

I tend to disagree here: I would *prefer* to have my comics in digital form
instead of the current printed versions, because

- they take no space
- comics would always remain in print
- all the great comics of the past would always be available
- I could buy any comic instantly over the internet
- it could be possible to try a comic before you purchase it.
- I could take my comics with me wherever I go
- they could be much cheaper as production costs are much lower
- they do not collect dust, yellow and deteriorate of the years
- I could find any comic in my collection instantly
- I could reread any comic at any time
- colors ould be better as digital displays can display millions of
 colors and are more brilliant than print.
- I could make my own "best of" collections

There would of course be a few comics I would like to keep because
they are beautiful books or because I became sentimentally attached
to them over the years, but this would just be around 20-30 books.
The others I would trade in for digital versions at any time.

Of course this means that there has to be a common versatile brilliant
cost-efficient mobile display. But this will come in the next few years.
In fact there already are some, but they are yet too expensive or just
not good enough. The real problem lies in the materials copright and
publishers reluctance to hop onto the digital train. But eComics will come
and we will be there to see it.

Cord