Danish Donaldism/Barks translations

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu May 9 04:07:34 CEST 2002

For A.C.: Harry's suggestion that you contact Freddy Milton and Benni Boedker
(Nielsen)is worth heeding, as, perhaps they could be future contributors to
your efforts.  However, they both planned the Barks Tribute Issue (Solo-Haefte
Nr. 25 (Jubilaeumsnummer)) as their last issue. They felt that with his life's
passing, and the passing of his 100th anniversary, their work was done, and it
was a good time to quit. As a long-time close friend of both of them, and a
contributor to that issue, I got the feeling that they both felt like moving on
with their lives.  Benni should now be very busy with his school teaching
career.  He was also very interested in many types of fine literature (not just
comics).  He was (and I hope, still is) a serious literature critic (in
newspapers and magazines).  I cannot speak for him, but I imagine he will save
more time in the future (as in the most recent years)to critique other forms of
literature, than for comics.

Freddy gave me the idea that he wanted to pass the baton to someone else, in
terms of the responsibilities of putting a fanzine together periodically.
However, he didn't say he would be averse to contributing again from time to
time.  You would do well to contact him.  Also Paw Mathiassen, the ex-publisher
of Carl Barks & Co. was also a big Barks fan.  You may want to contact him, as
well.

Regarding translations of Barks: I don't have an opinion on what they should do
in most countries, but I do think it would be a shame to reprint the Barks
stories with new text to fit the new language spoken by young people in
Germany. Erika Fuchs did a brilliant job putting her heart and soul and
expansive knowledge of language, history and culture into her translations. Her
work added such a layer of richness and tradition into the German printings
that they made a big impact on the generations who read them in the 1950s,
1960s and 1970s; and I see them also continuing to leave a big impression on
the readers of the 1980s, '90s, and even those of today.  I would hate to see
upcoming child readers miss out on her wonderful work, just to get "current
language" versions.  If those readers want to get the "feel" of the original
Barks, they can read Barks in English in Gladstone versions, Barks Library, and
other printings (they will probably all be available on the internet
eventually.  During the 1960s and 1970s, I met very few Germans who read
English very well. But, many of those who did, had originally made a determined
effort to learn English for the express purpose of reading Barks in his
original language.  I think that being introduced to Barks with Fuchs' text
only enhances the curiosity to read the original version and compare.

Having read and collected Dutch Disney comics as both a child and adult, I
would not want the names of the characters changed to match the original
American ones.  A change in mid stream is too wrenching for the readers on the
cusp. It does seem strange that if Duckstad is reasonably close to Amsterdam
(as is indisputible in several non-Barks stories), and is clearly within a
several hour auto trip from a dry desert (Southeast Spain, with US Cowboys
and "American Indians"?)the reader has a problem.  But it is nice to have
Zinterclaas carried into Amsterdam Harbour and Donald and the kids not to have
taken a quick superjet airflight from USA to beat him there. However, it does
seem that having the Euro come in is a great chance to start over, at least
with Calisota's money.  I think Scrooge should have the Euro sign on his Bin
for all current scenes. For "flashback scenes" that take place before the
introduction of the Euro to each individual nation, the original sign used
should be continued (e.g. the Florin F for Gulden in Holland, etc.).

Rob Klein