Scrooge McDuck's Western Money Bin

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald4 at yahoo.no
Fri May 10 15:07:58 CEST 2002

"Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com> skrev:

>> If you see the Barks' Duck-universe as the
>> "true" one, and most serious Donaldists
>> do so, [..]
>
> We have been through this before on DCML, but..

Well, that was before I joined...

> 1. I don't think there is such a thing as a
> "serious Donaldist".

That off course depend on your definition of that
term. I like to see Donaldists as other groups in
society like politicians, scientists, historians, etc.
which include both serious and less seriuos elements.
Off course there will always be subjective views about
who is serious and who is not.

> 2. I see no reason why people would want to
> distinguish between "serious" Donaldists and
> other people. To me that's an insult
> to the other people.

Well people still distinguish between serious
politicians, scientists, historians, etc. and other
people without insulting anyone.

>> There are no reason, whatsoever, to even consider
>> this information as a fact, if you can't find
>> support for it in any story by Barks or his
>> successor Don Rosa.
>
> 3. Carl Barks has had many successors. Don Rosa
> is only one of them. The fact that he was nearly
> chosen president of Finland doesn't make his
> stories more valid than other people's.

What you're saying here is *not wrong*, but this is
actually a matter that can be discussed. Don't forget
that many publishers treat Don Rosa as if he indeed is
THE successor of Barks, and don't forget that many
publishers do mention it on the cover when they print
Don Rosa stories. In the cover of the last DD&Co
(19/2000) Don's signature is even larger than Walt
Disney's. Some countries (like Germany) even prints
separate Don Rosa albums.

> 4. Sure, it's fun to consider a consistent
> universe, looking at Barks and Rosa stories
> only. But please don't tell other people that
> that's the *only* "serious" (?) way to go.

And I didn't do that... I only said that that's the
most common way to go.

Best regards from
Sigvald :-)