Virus "Kleez"

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Wed May 22 14:40:15 CEST 2002

Okay, confession time.

The virus sent to members of this list originated from one of the computers
I own.  My son likes to view Japanese animation over the Internet, and
antivirus software slows down that process.  He developed the very bad habit
of turning off the virus scanner while watching his movies, and he forgot to
turn it back on before reading his email.  He also had a lapse of judgment
when it came to opening attachments, and infected the machine.  It was about
5 minutes before I noticed the extreme network traffic from my location in
another room, so several of you received infected mail before I could run
into the office and switch off the system.

I'm rebuilding the machine now, as I never like results of just cleaning a
virus off a computer -- there are always vestigial remnants of such
infections.  I hope no one opened the KLEZ worm that they received from my
home.

Thanks to Don for identifying me only as "a friend" when removing the blame
from himself, but it is only fair that I acknowledge my mistake.  Meanwhile,
my son has learned a valuable object lesson at YOUR expense!  Thanks for
contributing to his computer education.

Sheepish Dan  :(