Gyro's Helper's head

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun May 26 17:33:46 CEST 2002

Congratulations to the man who built the full-scale operating REAL Donald car!
he is one serious fan! It looks perfect!  And he drives it on the streets!
Amazing! I wonder if Al Taliaferro ever knew about it?

For Francesco and Theresa:  For reasons I stated in yesterday's digest, I
believe that it is clear that in Carl Barks' versions, Helper had an common,
ordinary light globe (bulb) for his head.  Vacuum tubes all had a solid
cylindrical cover around the bottom fitting of the tube, with prongs sticking
out. ALL of Barks' illustrations of the "heads" and "replacement heads" when
not screwed in to Helper's body, included a THREADED base connection ((for
spiral groove tightening into the lamp fitting)(old North American system).
I cannot remember if Bradbury, or any other US artist drew Helper with his head
off, or drew any stored replacement heads.  Perhaps another member with a
better memory, or better access to his or her comics than I can inform us
whether or not Bradbury or another US artist used a vacuum tube as a model?
At the same time, they could also check stories of European, and South American
artists' stories.  I seem to remember a few stories by Branca and Vicar? in
which Helper had to replace a "head".  My guess is that it is quite likely that
these artists would have used a model from the European or South American
electronics systems, whose bases will differ from the style that Barks used. I
am sure I remember several that resembled vacuum tubes.

Rob
Klein