Copyrights... - again

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Mon Nov 4 18:34:39 CET 2002

HARRY:

(no, this is not off topic, many DCML members have their own websites,
so let's get this straightened out once and for all)

 >> the internet was invented for sharing Informations!
 >

 > Exactly. That's why the hyperlink was invented. This does not mean
 > that the Internet was invented to copy information without mentioning
 > the source!

No one ever suggested that, Harry! Just talking about the copying
itself. I am however curious to know what authority defined the
*default* of the Internet. Was it the Dutch government, the Danish, the
EEC, the United Nations, a five man group of judges carefully picked in
"civilized" countries/states? I really don't see any clauses attached to
Internet material, but I might have overlooked something of course.

The (C) mark may not have any "official" value in itself, but at least
you've told the visitor of your site, that this is something you'd like
to keep by yourself or at least something which deserves a reference of
some sort.

If I put something on the Internet, let it be this beautiful scan of my
(imaginary) favourite Volvo and I do not place any copyright mark or
license text anywhere and someone copies it, well, I doubt I will have
any case in terms of a law suit.

Pragmatically,
Søren

(The Internet is an anarchy that works only because the good guys
eventually kick out the bad guys)