Italian names?

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Nov 4 19:18:14 CET 2002

A question primarily geared toward our Italian members.

A long time ago, I believe I discussed some of this with our good friend
Franco (Eta Beta), and now I'm going for some more clarification, and some
correction to my faulty memory.  I'm not looking for a complete list and I
am aware of the DCML Translation list.  I just think that the DCML list
might be lacking some of the more "historic" information (such as Mickey's
"full" name in Italian which I find interesting).  I'm also looking for
more "complete" information, such as if Paperina originally had a first
name or if Clarabella or Orazio had surnames, etc.

Is the following list correct?  If you know any early or additional names
attributed to the characters, or have corrections to contribute, please
advise:

English Name = Italian Name
--------------------------------
Mickey Mouse = Michelino Topolino (now just called Topolino)
Minnie Mouse = Minni Topolina (now just called Minni)
Donald Duck = Paolino Paperino (now just called Paperino)
Goofy = Pippo
Pluto = Pluto
Daisy = Paperina (I believe she had a first name too, but I don't know it)
Black Pete = Pietro Gambadilegno (usually just called Gambadilegno now)
Gyro Gearloose = Archemede Pitagorico (usually just called Archemede now,
though formerly known as Giro Rotalibera)
Beagle Boys = Banda Bassoti
Magica DeSpell = Amelia
Gladstone Gander (Donald's lucky cousin) = Gastone Paperone
Uncle Scrooge/Scrooge McDuck = Zio Paperone/Paperon de Paperoni
Huey, Dewey & Louie Duck (Donald's Nephews) = Qui, Quo & Qua
Fethry Duck (Donald's weird cousin) = Paperoga
April, May & June Duck (Daisy's Nieces) = Emy, Ely & Evy
Morty & Ferdie (Mickey's Nephews) = Tip & Tap
Melody (Minnie's Niece) = Melody
Clarabelle Cow = Clarabella
Horace Horsecollar = Orazio
Madame Clara Cluck = Clara
Chief O'Hara (Chief of Police) = Commissario Adam Basettoni
Grandma "Elviry Coot" Duck = Nonna Papera
Duck Avenger/Super Duck (Donald as superhero) = Paperinik
Super Goof (Goofy as superhero) = Super Pippo
Gus Goose (Donald's lazy cousin) = Ciccio
Eega Beeva (Mickey's friend from the future) = Eta Beta
Ellsworth (Goofy's talking minah bird) = Gancio