Printing plates question

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 10 16:00:57 CET 2002

Hi!

>What exactly are printing plates?
>And are they from a certain period, or are they still used today?

Printing plate's form depends on what kind of printing method you use, and
so on. Well, in ancient times (1930' to 50's or so) plates were quite heavy
half-cylinder shaped things made of tin (casted with mold). Those things
were mounted on printer machine's cylinder. That was called letterpress, I
think (I'm not sure of english terms).
Offset-printing started to use much lighter plates (thin metal), which were
done with certain photochemical process using films.
Nowadays you can print books completely without films or plates, with
digital press.

>picture of what has to be printed on paper. Is that a printing
>plate?

Yes.

Timo

^^''*''^^