Descriptions of Carl Barks stories

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 11 08:28:00 CET 2002

Hi everyone!

Søren:
>> Just spent the whole day indexing old Danish 1951 issues, and it struck
>> me how very few descriptions actually exists for Carl Barks stories in
>> Inducks--thus lacking in the COA search pages as well.   [...]
>> I was wondering if perhaps someone out there (here) already did write
>> minor descriptions of the Carl Barks stories (5-20 words sentences),
>> which might be implemented in Inducks.

I started doing that when I made "Of  Mice and Ducks":
http://ob7.free.fr/mice_and_ducks/
(trivia: as I opened the page to copy the address, I was visitor # 10101 :D )

1/ Pick a collection (25nd row of  icons, labelled "Ducks Galore!"! WDC&S, DDA, ...

2/ In the (bottom left) gray frame, you now have a choice: Covers / Summaries / Album numbers

a/ The summaries (text in general) are displayed in the (bottom right) blue frame, Covers &
Summaries (all pictures) are displayed in the main (green) frame.

b/ Albums are presented by twos, with the cover and a panel from each story.
Click on a panel to display the summary (and vice versa: clicking on the summary will display the
corresponding album page); clicking on the cover will take you to the summary of  the story the
picture is taken from.

c/ Available summaries so far: WDC&S, GG, Christmas Stories Album, a good part of  DDA. These are
very short summaries (on line), just enough to identify the story-- and teasers rather than
spoilers, for those who don't know the stories.

d/ Additional information in the summaries (may not be complete): first times (eg: 1st appearance of
Gladstone), similar plots (ex: WDC&S 243 refers you to WDC&S 143)

3/ Keno Don Rosa has his own section, with L&T and the four Gladstone albums.

Feel free to use these (and link to M&D ;) ).

>>> PS. Originally the descriptions were mostly needed for "internal"
>>> identification of stories, and the CB stories were known to everybody

Well, apart from certain key stories ("Christmas on Bear Mountain", "Lost in the Andes", ...),
identifying a story based on its sole issue number (WDC&S 155) is not easy, however well you may
know the stories themselves; even finding in which album it was reprinted is not that easy. Hence my
selected panels-- unfortunately, I still have some scanning (and writing) to do.

Best wishes,

Olivier