Scarpa in pockets, Gottfredson in the weekly

Ari.Seppi@uta.fi Ari.Seppi at uta.fi
Mon Nov 11 10:48:22 CET 2002

David:
> 	We've got vintage Scarpa in our pockets because of combined
interest
> by my boss, Anna Maria Vind (who does most of the compilation on the
> pockets), and our publishers. There will be more of his work in the
> future, though not in every issue.

Hey, that's great! Thanks!

> 	Meanwhile, I'm the one who wanted "MM Outwits the Phantom Blot"
and
> "The Mail Pilot" (my personal favorite MM story from childhood) to
> appear in our weeklies, though in most countries "Blot" actually
> appeared a couple of years ago.

So it was decided in Egmont? I thought the Finnish publisher
decided that on their own.

> 	Improving Mickey's image? If you'll pardon me for sounding kinda
> *opinionated*, I think good new stories can do that every bit as well
> as good old stories. And I say that as a tremendous fan of good old
> stories, you know.

Well, I'm not so sure about that, unless you mean something really
good is coming. There has been some very good new Mickey stories -
for example the Mickey Mysteries series mentioned here two weeks ago -
but they don't have done the trick. Or at least I haven't noticed
any rise in Mickey publishing (which would indicate that the
publisher has noticed that Mickey's popularity is rising).

There have been some Goofy things, though. Does this mean? Hmm...

On the other hand, some good old classics might wake people and
they might notice that Mickey is not such a bad character after all.
(Not that I know anything about how to make a character popular.)

So what I mean is that, it's not that all of the new stories
are bad. It's that the readers won't notice that some of them
are good.