Can you watch a DVD for region 1 on a PAL TV ?

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:34:40 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ola Martinsson" <Ola.Martinsson at uab.ericsson.se>
To: <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 5:27 PM
Subject: Can you watch a DVD for region 1 on a PAL TV ?

> But it is for region 1 only. Does anyone know if I can watch this with a
> region free DVD player and a PAL TV in Sweden ? The DVD player is in a
> PC and has been reprogrammed to be region free. It used to be a region 2
> DVD player.

There are two things to think of when watching DVD movies:

- format (PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc.), this should not cause any problems if
watching the movies on a computer, and
- region (free (anywhere), 1 (North America), 2 (Western Europe, Middle East
& Japan), 3 (South Korea, Republic of China and parts of south-east Asia), 4
(Australia and South America), 5 (Russia, North Korea, India and parts of
Asia), 6 (People's Republic of China), 7 (nowhere), 8 (airplanes (?) and
similar)), this usually doesn't cause any problems if the DVD player is set
to support any region.

So you would probably be able to watch the Walt Disney Treasures movies
without any problem.

Stefan