The other Grandma

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Mon Nov 18 22:06:49 CET 2002

frankbubacz at hotmail.com:

> Hi,
>
> after all the talk about Grandpa and Grandma Duck
> (I personally have always assumed that she is the
> grandmother of HDL)

Have you ever read "W.H.A.D.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N."?

> I want to confuse matters by throwing in the other (?)
> Grandma, the one that can be seen in Barks'
> "Donald Duck's Best Christmas":
>
> She isn't Elviry, is she? At least she doesn't look like
> her, and, moreover, she doesn't act like her at all. I
> wonder why she is neglected among "serious Donaldists",
> since she is a "Barksian fact"?

I read that story again very recently because it is printed
in the new hardcover book "Carl Barks Julespesial", and saw
the same thing as you. However my thought was that since that
story was done very early in Barks' career (1945) she was
drawn like that just by mistake.

Anyway assuming you are right - who is/was she then?
Well she could not possibly be Donald's other grandmother
(his mother's mother Downy O'Drake died in 1897) so she
must be one of HD&Ls two grandmothers. However she doesn't
look or act anyway like their mother's mother Hortense
McDuck, so then we are left with their father's mother
who in Don Rosa's world is also identical with Daisy's
mother. The grandpa from whom Donald once borrowed a horse
for a race can be her husband (since Fergus McDuck died
in 1902 and Humperdink Duck seems to have died when Donald
was little or young). I know that Donald speakes about him
as grandpa, but that's no bigger deal than when HD&L spaekes
about Elviry as grandma.

Sigvald :-)