Scrooge\'s dubbelganger/Gyro\'s Great Grandfather

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Nov 21 10:45:29 CET 2002

"Arthur Faria Jr." wrote:

>> So! Gyro's great grandfather (Neco Pardal) was alive during
>> Gyro's adulthood?
>
> Probably not. The mentioned story (B 890020) shows that
> Neco Pardal was an old man in 1889, I'd say 60 years old
> (but very fit indeed). If Gyro's adulthood was in the 50s
> (according to Don Rosa, just to put some continuity to the
> matter), then Neco Pardal would be about 110 years
> old then! But nothing is impossible in comics...

You seems to be right when it comes to the age of Gyro's
Great Grandfather. Based on a normal lenght of a generation
and what we can see in Don Rosa's stories I would guess this:

a) Gyro Gearloose (born between 1920-1925)
b) Fulton Gearloose (born between 1890-1895)
c) Ratchet Gearloose (born between 1860-1865)
d) (Manuel?) Gearloose (born between 1830-1835)

> Just for information, "Neco" is a short for "Maneco", which
> is a nickname for "Manoel". So, the real name of Neco Pardal
> is actually Manoel Pardal (or Manoel Gearloose...)

Wouldn't that be written "Manuel" in English?

> He must be the father of Barks' Ratchet Gearloose
> (grandfather of Gyro).
>
> Not necessarily... Gyro has four great-grandfathers,

Yes, but how many of them will have the same family-name?
Did more than one of your great grandfathers have Faria as
his family name?

> so the chances are 25% that "my" Neco Pardal was Ratchet's
> father. Personally, I like to think he is not.

As long as he has the same family name I'll say there would
be more than 90% chanse that he would be. Unless you regards
"Gearloose" to be as common as "Duck" in the this universe.

Sigvald :-)