Errors in the COA database

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen thomas at duckburg.dk
Fri Nov 29 02:45:27 CET 2002

sigvald at duckburg.dk wrote:
> During the recent work with my "Don Rosa Scandinavian Story Index" I
> discovered several errors and lack of information in COA's Don Rosa
> Index files.

As you probably know, the COA has all of its information based on the
Inducks database. When something is added to Inducks, it is
automatically added to COA shortly after.

 > These error are:

[missing first publications]

The Inducks bases its first publication data on the actual publications
of the story. It takes all publications it knows of, and finds the one
that was published first. What has happened is probably that those
issues don't have a publication date (or an insufficient one), so if you
could provide the first publication issues of the stories too, that
would be great.

> m) D 2002-033 "The Dream of a Lifetime" is missing.
> The necessary Information is found here:
> http://duckman.pettho.com/sc_story/d2002-033.html

The reason is probably that the story has not been published yet (or
only barely has). It will appear, I can assure you that.

> And finally I think that COA is TOO SLOW - TOO OFTEN!!!

Too slow in what way?

With new issues and stories?
In that case you have to remember that all work is done voluntarily. I
am currently in charge of all Danish issues, and I do a lot to upload
new issues shortly after their publication. I know most other Inducksers
do the same to keep their countries' issues and stories up-to-date.

Or, slow as a website?
Yes, I know it is. Unfortunately, currently there is not much to be done
about it, other than to wait a bit. COA has a *lot* of visitors every
day, and each search takes up a lot of machine power. The website is
currently placed at a machine here at my place, but this machine is not
the largest and fastest on the planet. However, that's better than
nothing, don't you think? You are more than welcome to donate a faster
computer, however ;-)

Thomas

--
Thomas Pryds Lauritsen

"There is the theory of the Moebius.
  A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop."