Who, where and why not

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Nov 30 15:30:20 CET 2002

<raptus at stofanet.dk> wrote:

> Agreed (of course). It surely is pure fiction all of it,
> however, some stories appear less fictional than others.
> Not that they took place in the real world at all --
> I wouldn't take it that far. The point is that certain
> stories contain a pseudo historical message, which apparantly
> lures both writers and fans of those writers to believe,
> that the message must be respected and maintained in other
> stories. If the message is disobeyed in some other story,
> some would claim that the story provides "untrue facts",
> especially if this second story *itself* contains pseudo
> history which clashes with the first one.

Exactly!!! This is why *I* see Maroc Rota's (I HBP 1-1) "From Egg
to Duck" as a story based on *untrue* facts since it contradict
the Barks/Rosa version of how the ducks are born, and even their
familytree. In my COA-search I couldn't find any US
publication of this story. I would guess that's because this
story contradicts the US Duck universe established by Barks.

The problem is when Mads IMO wrongly states that Don Rosa
contradicts Barks. IMO Don Rosa doesn't contradict Barks,
he remains faithful to Barks' universe. Well off course in
order to do *new* stories Don Rosa had to add som ekstra
information, *but* that's not the same as to contradict Barks.
Every *serious* Donaldist has to admit that Barks din't tell
absolutely *everything* that ever happened in his Duck-universe.

Well OK, Mads may still say that Don Rosa did neglect some of
the years mentioned by Barks. What can I say? Off course he
had to that! Barks did sometimes contradict him self. As when
he once stated that The Money Bin was 70 years in 1951 (=buildt
around 1880), and in an other story he shows Scrooge as a poor
miner in Pizen Bluff in the early 1890s.

Hope this posting is both clarifying and not being seen as
offencive towards anyone.

Sigvald :-)