File-Sharing of Scanned Stories

Rune Kristian Viken arcade at kvinesdal.com
Tue Oct 15 12:22:06 CEST 2002

Måndag 14. oktober 2002 23:17 skreiv Thomas Johnson:

> Is there a place on the internet where Disney Comics fans can
> network with each other by email?

I'm sure you could put all your comics up on freenet / gnutella / kazaa
/ direct connect / whatever is the most popular filesharing-network at
the moment.

Maybe you would find someone else that was interested.  Maybe not.

> I brought this issue up once before, and a polite reply was posted
> bringing up the copyright issue, period-end-of-discussion.  I know
> there are copyright issues, but heck.  The Disney Company has locked
> up the old comics and isn't letting anybody reprint them.  These
> classic stories are works of art that are being lost.  New
> generations of kids are missing out on something special.

There is many points of view, and many discussions when it comes to
copyright.  Unfortunately the lawmakers seem to think that 70+ years
is a 'fair' time for copyrights.

Now, with the Sony Bonno act or whatever that idiotic thing in the US
is named, things have gotten even worse.  Books / comics / movies made
in the 1930's are _still_ covered by copyrights.  Even though most, if
not all, of the actors/creators of these nice pieces of art has passed
away.

Of course an artist should be rewarded for what he makes.  But
copyrights which last longer than 20-40 years are just ludicrous.  In
my eyes, at least.

> Am I the only person out here who is interested in this?

I'm sure there are others that are interested.  I'm also quite sure
that most of them will be very quiet about it on this list.

--
Rune Kristian Viken