Of Ducks & Mice

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Tue Oct 29 23:16:23 CET 2002

David-

> Yoicks! First of all, I'm no Maestro, and I apologize if I
> sounded snooty. That ain't all I've got to apologize for,
> either...

Oh, I don't take you as being "snooty."  :-)  I just respect
your opinion and your great knowlegde/research in Disney
comics!  Hence the term "Maestro." :-)

> Sorry about the flub.

No worries.  I just wanted to assure you that we were on the "same
page" with that information.

> The Egmont writer's guide on the Fieldmouse family, created by
> Lars Bergström and Paul Halas, calls Felicity's husband Frank
> Fieldmouse. The character hasn't been in a story yet, though,
> or even mentioned in one, so I wouldn't call it canon.

Frank & Felicity Fieldmouse!  As dumb assome might think it to be,
I really do love the use of alliteration for Disney characters. :-)

> Hey, I like Melody as a character, and the annoying way she
> bedevils Morty and Ferdie.

Cool.  I wasn't sure where you stood with her, but I recall some
discussion about how much some among us dislike her.  She's one of
the few characters who can play off of Morty & Ferdie well.  The
obvious other being Pluto.  M&F have so few supporting characters.

> I just don't personally like the art of most stories she's in.

Oh, I see.  Yah, Jim Fletcher's art is kind of childish and simple.
I'm not a big fan either, but I do like those little curls that
he gave Melody which gives her some personal distinction. While
Morty & Ferdie, aside from their caps, look basically like mini
versions of Mickey, and Minnie's Twins were drawn by Paul Murray
as mini versions of Minnie.... i.e., no real distinctive
characteristics.  I also have a special fondness for comics which
feature the "kids" of the adult characters (whether they be actual
children or just relations of).  That's why I liked some of the
older shared comics on the List which featured large groupings
of them (such as the one with Von Drake explaining the "History of
Computers," or the "Kids Club," both of which featured Melody,
Morty, Ferdie, Newton, Gilbert, Heuy, Dewey & Louie!)  I also
noticed that Maria's (Rosinha) niece, Gabby, seems to play the
same role as Melody does to Carioca's Nephews (which makes sense
since Zico & Zeca were basically modelled on Morty & Ferdie).

> BTW, do you have any Melody stories in English?

I may have one, but I can recall which at the moment.  I'll see
if I can find it.  Otherwise, all of them are either in Italian
or Portaguese (Brazil), and maybe one in Danish?  I even have one
story from an issue of Almanacco Topolino where Minnie is portrayed
as a Scout Mistress for a troop of little mice girls all looking
like Melody.

BTW, in a previous comment, I think from Melody's entry on the DCML
Character List, you said that Egmont published only a few stories
with Minnie's twin nieces (then called "Millie & Tillie").  Can you
tell me if these were "new" stories, or just reprints of "The Late,
Late Show" & "Mickey's Close Call" with their names changed?  I'm
just curious if Minnie's Nieces (Melody & Millie) can be attributed
to any other stories aside from those two?

I THINK I recall another American published story where the Twins
appear with Mickey, but they were not named, and I don't think I
mentioned it, or maybe I didn't refer to it, in the past as it didn't
further the discussion about their names.  So, I *think* there were
at least THREE published stories in the USA featuring Minnie's
"nieces."  Sadly, all three did not help collaborate their naming.

Thanks again,

Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com