KRITON - dame

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Fri Sep 6 13:48:34 CEST 2002

Hi Kriton!

>It was about the Beagle Boys stealing from Scrooge
>a magical checkboard
[...]
>The ducks came after them, with Donald thinking that the
>Beagles had actually kidnapped Daisy. (This is based on some Italian
>word-play that sounded quite stretched when translated into Greek,
>and would probably make no sense when translated into English.)

Well, with a bit of stretching, it *could*, possibly better
than in Greek...

The word in question is "dama", from the latin "domina", meaning
in italian both the checkers game and "dame", or lady, actually
its primary meaning, although a bit out of date, perhaps... :-)

Donald is indeed led to believe the Beagles kidnapped his dame.

However, I think the english word "dame" is, or was, also used
to designate the queen piece in the chess game, and since the
board used is the same, they might have used that in an
hypotetical english translation, although it would have taken
quite a bit of turning phrases around, I guess.

Cheers

Eta Beta