A (insert 50 positive adjectives) half week - part two

Anders Christian Siveb¾k anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Tue Sep 17 23:14:26 CEST 2002

After a great day and early evening we, Heidi, Sigvald, Søren, Jesper,
Thomas and I decided to go out for dinner too. What would it be.
Italian was proposed and of course - Don has italian origins (It would
flow with these kind of references for the rest of the trip! :-)
We found a good italian restaurant, but during dinner we agreed that it's
quite more expensive to eat in Norway than in DK.
But the lasagnas and pizzas we had were fine - so was the soft drinks (we
were tired, and some were below the borders of drinking,
so we avoided alcohol). While eating we talked about the great day we had
had and heard about Heidi's job as freelance-journalist, so
we started to look forward to waht we would soon see in the papers. After
dinner Heidi drove us to the guesthouse were we were
spending the night. I was so forgetfull to forget a bottle of whiskey in
the back of her car (I had taken it out of my bag to make it less heavy).
But we said goodbye to Heidi  and later Sigvald phoned her to ask her to
take the Whisky with her when she would go to Stavanger.
Thomas and I shared a room, while Sigvald, Søren and jesper shared the
other room. Before we went to bed we looked again at the fanzines
from our society and on the Rosa-indexes Thomas and i and Sigvald and Geir
have made. One danish and one Norwegian. We made appointments
that the danish index should be send to members of our society as a part
of the membership - the norwegian one will be offered as we aren't
sure all our members would be interested. I for one would, and we will be
sure to offer them here too, if you like. (notice that these indexes are
made
by duckhunters, so one should think we know what we're talking about)
We went to bed, and stood up at 6.30 - it was nice to sleep in a real bed.
- We took the bus to the center of town and went to the fast ferry which
would take us halfway to Stavanger. Onboard we sat at a table and
discussed again the contents of our next Rappet-fanzine.
many ideas were written down (promise to send them to you, guys, i have
the list) at the same time i was doing a bit of german homework,
while sometimes falling into thoughts about how we should have come
earlier and left Bergen later, but still i thought of how great it had
been to finally
meet a friend through 5 years - a friend who'se stories I've been reading
since 1990 and noticed as being his since 1991. That's the half of my
life... :-)
In Leirvik we changed boats. Sigvald had already been so kind to tell us
how a boat had hit a reef and 16 peoples had tragically died in 1999 on a
ship
called Sleipner (the name of odin's 8-legged horse, Odin being the old
king of Gods in the nordic mythology). 69 survived.  We got on the boat
Draupner, the sister-
boat of Sleipner. Nice to know, wasn't it?!? :-) tragic.
Thomas took a photo of the memorial in the sea of where this took place. -
On the boat we bought two newspapers. It was Sigvald and I who browsed
them and found articles with Rosa there. In one of them the interviewer
first talked with two fans who actually liked >pondus and nemi better. we
danes somehow wondered why she had't asked us instead ;-) - another fan
was really a fan and praised Don for his detailed style.
 And at 12.50 we were in Stavanger. We first crashed the local narvesen
shop for comics.
Gosh we got a bit sour there... In Norway they still have the Paperinik
magazine that we lost this winter. - They have a series called wild
stories, reprinting the extras, and they still have (OT:) the
Bamse-magazine that Egmont closed in 1998, exactly as it had it's
25-years-jubilee. (OT off). In Norway they also have the magazine Disney's
animal friends, containing a few comics too. So sometimes we danes feel
cheated, as we don't live in Norway - hmmm...
We carried on and went to the Løvås Bruktbu, a second-hand-comic shop that
Sigvald regularly attends. Here verything was nicely sorted so we could
easily find the things we wanted. that is, some things we couldn't find as
they weren't there.
We did get some Barks indexes, made by the norwegian donaldists, I found
some weeklies I wanted, some albums that never emerged in DK. Jesper was
looking for paperinik issues between the closure in Denmark and the issue
we both just bought, but no luck there.
While we browsed the comics Sigvald was fetching the car at Stavanger
Museum where he's been indexing interesting things for some time now. he
had his last day of work there on spetember 11th 2002 - a sad date if you
When Sigvald came back we moved our backage to his dad's car and finished
our looking in the shop. Again i felt a bit annoyed with the publishing
policy. Norwegians have had several christmas albums where we only had 2 -
it's not that the stories in those albums are special, not for Barks- or
Rosa-purits (not that i join that group totally, but...), but it's again
sometimes we didn't get...  Oh, for crying out loud, when will we learn to
just be happy with what we have as long as we have it...
Outside we put our comics in the car and went to look at the place were
Sigvalds dad grew up - there's a pizza-resatuarant there now (maybe a
closed one) but it was a nice butcher store with big bull-heads on the
facade.
After this we went to a nearby cheese-store to see if we would have a
dejavu. You remember the story "The leming with the locket", where HDL go
into a norwegian cheese-store and find that big round one they like so
much. We took some photoes here.
After this reference to Donald we drove to Sigvalds place, after driving
past the museum.
Inside we said hello to Sigvalds father who was happy to get the tobaco,
whisky and goods that we brought (meat is expensive in Norway and they
don't have access to certain danish things, so we brought 4,2 kg's - which
is maybe 8 pounds.
Sigvalds father was making sheep and cabbage - with potatoes. This course
was ready in a few minutes. We crazy donaldists started to think of
references at once. Sigvald said - the sheep coulæd have walked on Dismal
Downs. The cabbage made me think of the crazy professor in US 8 and the
potatoes could have been in that treasure chest that Malcolm and Donald's
reincarnation digged down. Sigvald's father didn't have any official
comments asd to if this was intended or not :-)
As a thank you for the goods we had brougfh Sigvald and i had made an
appointment that i would get the Disney Monoply game that he had bought
earlier in the week for me.
After dinner we were busy - I, Søren and Jesper studied Sigvalds
collection with many books and interesting articles and stuff. I found out
that i would like to have scans of all the norwegian prefaces for the
yearbooks with reprints.
While we browsed Sigvalds big room, Thomas and Sigvald went upstairs to
scan Sigvalds finished fandraiwng for Heidi and to do webthings with
Sigvalds email account and homepage.
As the time neared for our departure for Egersund we made packages with
bread and good norwegian chesse that Sigvald's father offered for us. - I
also had some chats with Grøsfjeld sr. about his job as ingeneer and the
many books he had. Before we left we had stewed prunes  and we talked
about this being good food for donaldists too, as especially one of the
beagle Boys has stated several times that he "likes prunes"!
Thomas and I got to taste a special whiskey liqueur that we had heard a
lot about while Sigvald was in Denmark. this was Southern comfort reserve
from Louisville, Kentucky, where Don lives. In Denmark we had only been
able to find a sort from New Orleans. But that's not duck-related and
thuis not very important in this connection.
At 6 we left for Egersund after having said thanks to Sigvald father for
good donaldistic food. On the way we pass a football-course were famous
norwegian players have trained in their younger years their names were:
Erik Thorstvedt and Linda Medalen. - and we danes in the car did laugh a
bit cause it was getting a bit funny that we didn't understand every
sentence Sigvald said - so he had to explain again and we then did
understand.
We reached Egersund a 7.15 in good time before the ferry took of. We sat
down after getting the tickets - we talked again of how good a trip we had
had, and I left the basketball-thing from the weekly for Sigvald to keep -
i hope your nephew will like it as much as you and Thomas did on the boats
from Bergen to Stavanger :-)
We left Sigvald thanking very much for a great end of the week - and we
made appointments that we would meet again - hopefully next summer, so
that we could have more time to see the beautiful land of Norway with a
biut less hastiness than this trip suffered a bit from.
On the boat we found the room with the sleeping seats - this time we were
placed at the window. - I panicked for a moment thinking I had lost my
keys - but thye were in my jacket, luckily. So we went to a silent place
and played Monopoly. With breaks of going to taxfreee, eating fish and
chips and being asked my some norwegian girls if we would go and dance
with them we played untill 12. Søren won - darned (For Søren da også to
put it in danish - or, oops sorry, for Peter!).
We also had a lot of fun with taking photoes of eachother while we shutted
up (holding a juice-container with the name kjeft, is to hold a kjeft...)
Then we got tired and went up to sleep.. Søren and i did go for an extra
walk to use some coins. We tried one of these one-armed thieves and won 35
kroners. We tried a bit more, just to lose some of them, and then we went
to buy a Pondus-magazine, just to see what these girls in the paper were
talking of. (I haven't found out yet)
Then we did go to sleep. During the night I layed myself on the floor and
woke up by the same crazy norwegin loudspeaker-person.
Then we packed and went to land - Jespers grandparents fetched him, and we
said goodbye and seeyou and thanks for a great time.
Thomas, Søren and I drove to Nissum - and spend some housrs on talking,
uploading pictures and generally talking about our experience of the trip.
At 2.54 the train with Thomas and Søren left the station after a dinner
there and an episode with Søren who couldn't find his ticket - luckily he
did :-) See you all, friends. This was one of the best half weeks In my
life as a donaldist.

As it is getting late now, i might as will bid good night

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist