Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Wed Sep 25 14:55:59 CEST 2002

I wonder if this list of fictional billionaires is related in some way to an
e-mail I got at the Toonopedia(tm) address several months ago, apparently
from a financial writer of some sort. He said he'd seen conflicting reports
about Daddy Warbucks and Richie Rich, some claiming they have millions and
some claiming they have billions, and he wanted an accurate accounting for
both.

I told him they have zillions, and added, "Jeez, the questions people ask!"

I mean, this is kind of like kids in the school yard debating over who's
stronger, Superman or The Incredible Hulk. (Only in my day, it was Superman
or Captain Marvel.)

Scrooge is the richest because he is defined as being the richest. The
others are fabulously wealthy, but none of them are defined by their writers
as being absolutely the wealthiest person in the entire world -- nor did any
of them prove it by unrolling miles of string across Africa.

But all of them are as wealthy as they need to be in any given story.

And by the way, he didn't even mention Andy Gump's Uncle Bim.

Whatever specious "knowledge" they used for their data, I have one final
word for the people who figured all this out: GET A LIFE!

Quack, Don