DCML digest, Vol 1 #1082 - 4 msgs

Vic Pratt thebeesong at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 17:52:32 CEST 2002

Hello Simon

> I must vigorously disagree with these prejudiced &
> unnecessary comments.

Sorry, but I must vigorously disagree with your
vigorous disagreement. I maintain that Richie Rich is
a load of rubbish. Perhaps I am prejudiced against
L'il Richiekins, possibly because I've tried comics
featuring him at various times over the years, hoping
that one of these times I'll get lucky and find one
that at least holds my interest; invariably his
"adventures" are tedious in the extreme.
They should all be consigned to the dustheap of
history. As for my comments being unnecessary...yep,
my comments are unnecessary, as much as all the other
comments on this list are unnecessary (measurements of
money bins, etc.) but we don't write these mails
because they're necessary, do we? We do it for fun,
don't we?

And
> in addition these views are in a minority.

Yes, but since when were majority views invariably
correct? A zillion people buy every record by all
those tiresome manufactured pop bands, I still think
that they are junk. Minority views are just as valid
as majority views. It's all a matter of opinion.

 The
> Richie Rich character has
> appeared in one of the most successful comics of all
> time.

Big deal, Superman is a successful comic, and I think
that's boring tosh too. Some of the best comics are
the least successful.

  He was
> illustrated by very talented artists such as Ernie
> Colon & Warren Kramer.
> The Harvey comics tended to appeal to younger
> children, not the 'mature'
> audience that now is interested in Scrooge McDuck.

Yes, but Barks' Scrooge McDuck appealed to kids AND
adults. There lies part of its genius. And even as a
kid, when my gran brought me Richie Rich comics, I
didn't like them.

> Hence they tended to be
> more light weight but nonetheless of high quality
> artwork.

What good is the artwork without a decent story?

  Please direct
> such scathing abuse to more worthy targets.

Boring production line stuff like this is a worthy
target. But that's just my opinion....if you like
them, good for you. No shortage of unwanted back
issues knocking about.

Best wishes

VIC

=====
A FINE ELECTRONIC PORTMANTEAU OF COMICS AND CURIOSITIES AT:
           http://come.to/thefleacircus