Gilles: Grandma's aunt Klazien

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Tue Apr 1 17:53:50 CEST 2003

Hi y'all and especially Gilles,

Yes, DD2002-36 is the right issue. The contents match my
recollections of it. I'm sorry that I provided wrong
information concerning the relationship of the characters
and I'm glad Bernard's been able to supply the right data.

[Mr. Trouwhart is the original owner of Grandma's farm.
Klazien marries Trouwhart's son Bertus. Bertus disappears.
Grandma inherits the farm.]

I think this story implies that Grandma wouldn't have got
the farm if her aunt Klazien hadn't married Bertus
Trouwhart, right? So Klazien must be either the sister of
Clinton Coot or Gertrude Gadwall, Grandma's parents.

If Klazien'd been a Coot, the farm would still have come
from the Coot-side of the family.

If, instead, one takes Bertus as the brother of Gertrude,
Klazien could still be Grandma's aunt and Grandma would
still be able to claim in Lo$ 10 that the farm belonged to
her grandfather (being Mr. Trouwhart, not Cornelius Coot).

Perhaps Gertrude was already married to Clinton Coot,
which explains why she didn't live with her parents
anymore, which might be why she doesn't appear in this
story.

[Moreover, this solution would provide the Dutch Gertrude
(Petronella) with a maiden name (Trouwhart) which lacks in
the Dutch version of Rosa's Family Tree.]

I think Bernard's 'Goodheart' is a good translation for
'Trouwhart', but 'Trueheart' is still a bit more true to
the 'original' version. (Of which I'm not sure: this is
this story's first publication, but the original script
was probably not written in Dutch.)
[But you won't need 'Trueheart' if you decide Trouwhart to
be the father of Gertrude Gadwall.]

I agree with Sigvald that this story's a bit hard to fit
into Don Rosa's Coot-farm-construction, but that's imho no
reason to dismiss it as utter nonsense.

Michiel Prior.