Call Me “Tom” Kirk

kingofduckburg@apptechnc.net kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Thu Dec 4 04:52:06 CET 2003

First of all to Dan Shane, THANK YOU for the link to this fascinating
interview!  I would have never guessed that the star of Merlin Jones was so
articulate!  Scrambled egghead Tommy Kirk is not!  I must admit that I was
really depressed after reading the interview, though.  I guess the bright side
is that Kirk must have rebounded a bit from crippling depression and
homelessness—he gave commentary on the Old Yeller DVD, anyway.  I know all of
my problems would be solved if could be on the Old Yeller audio commentary (my
tongue is sort of in my cheek).

To L. Schulte, I’m not sure it’s fair to label Kirk a bad actor because he was
in such an endless array of terrible, terrible movies.  Could Marlon Brando
have saved Mars Needs Women, Bon Voyage, or The Catalina Caper?  Would Jack
Nicholson have brought credibility to the character of Merlin Jones?  I would
credit much of Old Yeller’s success to Kirk’s moving performance.  I like to
think (and maybe I’m being too optimistic) that Kirk could have been better if
he had been given better material.

And to Fabio, I am a wearied survivor of Mars Needs Women, and I would not wish
the viewing experience on anyone.  NOTHING saves the film—not the beautiful
women Tommy Kirk and his space comrades are trying to purloin, not the
cosmically bad acting and writing, and certainly not the appearance of poor
tired Tommy Kirk.  I can really get into some ridiculously bad movies, but I
found Mars Needs Women excruciating.  Once you’ve heard Tommy/Tom say, “Mars
needs women,” the thrill of the film is gone!

Matt Needs Sleep