Gladstone/Gemstone not again.....

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Dec 24 04:01:37 CET 2003

LARS JENSEN to me, 23-12-2003:

> It's probably just me being ignorant, but... What's the difference
> between a facsimile and a reprint?

In Barks's case, at least for several of his stories, direct reproductions
of the original comics seem to be the only way to get close as possible to
his original art.

Just two examples are the smugsnorkle squatty story (WDC 70-02) and the
wild turkey hunting story (WDC 87-02). In USA reprints, these stories
are partly redrawn.

Of the smugsnorkle squatty story, panels 9.5, 9.6, 10.1 and 10.2 are
redrawn. Of the wild turkey hunting story, pages 3, 5 and 6 are redrawn.

These are just two examples why I prefer facsimile reproductions. Not to
mention the common practice re-retouching that happens when stories are
reprinted.

In the Netherlands, they're publishing facsimile reproductions of the
first years of the Dutch weekly. *Without* restorations. I'm surprised
by the relatively clear quality of these comics.

And apart from getting as close to Barks's original art as possible,
the old colouring add a nostalgic "classical" atmosphere to his stories,
which I like very much.

> You're strongly implying Gemstone are deceiving their customers in
> order to justify reprinting Barks stories.

This is ridiculous nonsense.

--- Daniël