DCML digest #1250

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Feb 10 08:24:38 CET 2003

From: Klartekst (info at klartekst.no)
long time, like some types of elves. Non-talking duck live for 7-10
years if they're lucky during hunting seasons. Maybe talking ducks live
a lot longer.

But that's the same as version #3... Ducks as fairy tale creatures. (Your
message seems to imply that elves are actual beings?) Remember that I and
others do not view these as "talking ducks" but as caricatures of normal
humans, just as Asterix or Tintin are caricatures of humans -- no human has
a nose as big as Asterix or super-strength, nor can a human survive the
physical stunts that Asterix undergoes, but he is nonetheless a human
character.

the same life expectancy as real humans.

I can't speak for you, but *I* expect them to because, to me, they *are*
real humans. And when you read one of my stories, you are reading about real
humans, not elf-like ducks with extended lifespans. Note that you of course
have the right to regard them as such, but you'll hafta read about such
beings in other people's stories, not in that teeny % of the lot that I have
written/drawn.

From: KUR (ggk at wp.pl)
How many time it take you to draw a 10 -12 page story?

Just draw it? Not including the writing part?
3 or 4 weeks. More like 4, including all the unavoidable lost time, like
problems with tools/materials, matters to deal with in e-mail or on the
phone, visits from plumbers, chopping firewood, etc.