Ekstra

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Wed Feb 26 11:01:03 CET 2003

Don:

[about the Dutch DONALD DUCK EXTRA]

> I'm wondering what to think about this practice. Are they
> using these mini
> comics to promote the monthly EKSTRA?

Yes and no.
"De cowboy-kapitein van de Cutty Sark" (DD1999-27) was a "mini DD Extra".
"De terugkeer van de Drie Caballero's" and "De kroon van de kruisvaarders"
were just "mini albums", like the Barks ones that Bernard mentioned.

> If so, of all the stuff in the EKSTRA
> to reproduce in *extra tiny* size, why would they pick the
> most detailed art
> that is *already* being printed too tiny even when it's in a
> normal sized comic?

My guess is that they care more for the stories than for the artwork.
BTW, I hope they wil reprint those stories in an OOM DAGOBERT album.
Then the artwork will have its right size.

> Should I be complimented that they think that's the
> best they have in the monthly?

I think so. As a storyteller, rather than as an artist. 8-)

> But at least it's nice to see the Dutch use the continued
> versions of the
> stories when they should, rather when they shouldn't, as is
> always the case in EKSTRA.

Ehm... they always use the continued versions, but that doesn't
mean that when they break up a story themselves, they do it at
the intended place!
The 3 Caballeros story was split up as 14+14, instead of 9+10+9.
The crusaders story was also 14+14, instead of 10+10+8.

(You'll see this yourself when my mail package finally arrived...)

Soeren:

Don> Is anyone wondering why I keep spelling it "EKSTRA" rather than
Don> "EXTRA"? The Dutch spell it the same way we do. Sorry.

> No reason to. The home country of Egmont uses "Ekstra"

Note that Don was talking about the *Dutch*, and Holland is not
an Egmont country.

In Holland, we had a few comics in the 1970s albums called "Eppo
Ekstra" (non-Disney), using a very progressive spelling (if you
spelled like that in those days, you were at least against the
N-bomb and placing more cruise missiles).
But since those days, "ekstra" has never been an accepted spelling
in Holland.

Gerd:

> I think you were just confused by the way Harry Flux spells his name.

8-D

--Harry.
(Jenn: hi!)