New Gemstone Comics Info

Rob Wilson dolphinrob at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 27 22:55:15 CET 2003

This information was just sent out in the Scoop newsletter from Diamond
Comics. The original article, including graphics of the cover for WDC&S #634
can be found at this address...

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=2011&si=121

Enjoy -

    Rob

Industry News, Scoop, Saturday, March 01, 2003

"We are currently on schedule with no hiccups," said John Clark, Gemstone
Publishing's editor-in-chief for the Disney comics line. "All titles should
release as planned. Our Free Comic Book Day issue of Donald Duck Adventures
featuring "Maharajah Donald," will be out May 3, Free Comic Book Day, along
with the other free comics. The 64-page prestige books, Uncle Scrooge #319
and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #634, will both ship from the printer
in June and will be monthly thereafter. Then our regular, 32-page comics
will ship in September and hold to a monthly schedule after that, beginning
with Donald Duck #305 and Mickey Mouse and Friends #257.

Clark said American creators Patrick Block, Don Rosa, Noel Van Horn, and
William Van Horn will be showcased in these books, along with some classic
Carl Barks reprints, as will the work of top-notch European artists, such as
Daniel Branca, Ferioli, Daan Jippes, Romano Scarpa, and Vicar.

But wasn't anything thrown off schedule by the recent monumental snowstorm
in the east? Clark, newly relocated to the Baltimore area just in time for
the record-breaking snowfall, just chuckles.

"I was expecting it. Wherever I move, there's a record-breaking bad winter
the first year!" he said.

"Response to the announcement of our FCBD issue has been good, from what
I've heard. A few retailers have indicated they're going to order big on
this one, so I'm expecting we'll have a high press run," Clark added.
"Retailers should look for a swell point-of-purchase poster announcing the
release of the comics in an upcoming Dateline, and we're hoping a lot of
previous fans will bring their friends and other new readers along for the
re-launch. Our plans for the Disney characters won't end with the four
titles already mentioned. We have some really exciting projects under way
that should go a long way towards giving Disney comic books a renewed
presence in both the mass market and the world at large. But it's too early
to discuss those plans just yet. Stay tuned for further developments!"

If you're interested in receiving information about the new line of Disney
comics, visit http://www.gemstonepub.com/disney and sign-up today.

Original content ©2002 Gemstone Publishing, Inc. and/or Diamond
International Galleries.
All other material ©2002 respective copyright holders. All rights reserved.