Dutch multi-part versions of Don Rosa's stories

Bernard Slaa slaab14 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 10:08:23 CET 2003

>Sigvald:

> I think you should tell us more abou this

>I don't think I should do that.
>Michiel already did it. 8-)

>Michiel:

> One good thing about these mini-comics: the cover
they used for the
> 'Caballeros'-story was *Don's original cover*. As
far as I
> know this is
> the only time the Dutch editors ever used an
original Rosa-cover.
> (For Donald Duck Extra and Oom Dagobert they mostly
use retraced
> Rosa-covers.)

>Yes, but for the *interior* illustrations in the Oom
>Dagobert albums,
>they often used colour photocopies of Don's original
>drawings (covers
>for Gladstone and illustrations for France).

>--Harry.

The covers for the DD Extra's are always self-drawn by
a Dutch artist. But the ones from the Oom Dagobert
albums are "sometimes" real covers from Rosa or
combinations from Rosa-covers and a different
background. At the following link you can see the
covers (from album 53):
http://mars.spaceports.com/~ddossier/old/ddd.htm

The covers from the Lifetimes stories are parts from
the real covers with a map at the background. But by
some albums they've a very strange view wich cover
they should use. Album 60 had as lead-story "Return to
Plain Awfull" but by the cover I think more about the
Barks story "The Prize of Pizarro". Also by album 67
with had as lead-story "Hearts of the Yukon" they used
the cover of "The Vigilant of Pizzen Bluff" wich was
the lead-story of album 68. And by that album they've
made a combination from the cover of "The Invader of
Fort Duckburg" and Buffalo Bill in some kind of fog.

But for the interior illustrations as Harry mentioned
they use some good art from Don Rosa. And in some
earlier albums they had used some oil-paintings from
Barks.

Greetings Bernard