Bay chronicles

Patinhas patinhas at net.sapo.pt
Thu Jan 9 00:19:03 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco Spreafico" <frspreaf at tin.it>
To: "DCML" <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: Mickey Parade & A li'l announcement

> On Wednesday, January 08, 2003 7:32 PM Olivier wrote:
>
> > However, there's something I like and have meant to mention on the DCML
> > for a little while: "Les Chroniques de la Baie" (Chronicles from the
> > Bay), by Alberto Savini (story) and Stefano Turconi (art).
> > It's a series of  stories starring Moby Duck and Feathry, plus a host of
> > new characters, and set in the little harbor of  Duckport-- the
> > technology is nineteenth-centuryish. I love this series! I think Savini
&
> > Turconi succesfully "appropriated" Moby & Fethry and created an
> > interesting little universe of  their own.
>
> Yes, I perfectly agree with you. I think that that series is one of the
best
> Italian "stories" (group of stories actually) of the last ten years!

I also share this view. In fact, as I said before, what I particularly like
in Topolino is the ability of the Italian artists to create new and complex
universes, although using the regular characters.

Regarding Moby Duck's mate in the Bay Chronicles, it is definately Fethry
(although in italian, its name has been changed from Paperoga to Paper
Hoog - in what I assume must be a phonetical trick maintaining the
aproximate sound while changing the name to seem more "nautical"). Also, the
cast of "new" characters is quite well developed (although most of those are
not really "deep", some insight is given regarding the motivation of these
characters). In number the cast of "new supporting characters" is almost as
big as the cast of "Paperino Paperotto" (Donald as child living in Grandma
Duck's farm) although I must say I prefer the Bay Stories to those.

Another Italian series that was published this year that should be looked
(other than the Frontier Chronicles - Pezzin's "Chronache della Frontiera"
which I mentioned before) is also by Pezzin, "La storia vista da Topolino" -
The history as seen by Topolino (I believe Topolino here refers both to the
publication and to the mouse). A view on  historical moments (Italian, in
the stories I read), with the mouse gang as little known (or even fictional,
but not recognizibly so) historical characters. This reminds me of the Jaime
Diaz Studio series of "Goofy History", but this time the gags are more
subtle, using less "on your face" and the trademark graphical humour of that
(great) series.

    Regards,
        P.