Question about WDC cover-set

Tom Peaco tpeaco at exploremaine.com
Sun Jan 12 18:37:35 CET 2003

>  "I'm looking for information on a set of prints that contains
>  Walt Disney Comics and Stories cover art (like 33, vol. 3, No. 9)
>  but has none of the comic header information (just the art). I think
>  it was a mail-offer c. 1950? and it has 10 pieces."
>
> A set of cover prints as mail-offer of circa 1950???
> Sounds interesting.

These were given out as subscription premiums when subscribing to WDC.  For
example, on the back cover of WDC #71 (August 1946) is an advertisement
showing the cover of WDC #43 without the WDC logo (nor any other writing) at
the top.  The advertisement goes on to say for each 1-year subscription you
get one free pin-up, 2-years get you 2 free pin-ups, 3-years you get 4 free
pin-ups, and for 5-years you get 6-free pin-ups.  I have no idea how many
different pin-ups there are.  I myself have 9 different pin-ups (WDC 24, 25,
29, 30, 33, 41, 43, 45, and 47).  Assuming they did a pin-up from every
issue, there should be at least 24 different ones (probably more).

tom