Whole new feature on M&D ! -- sharper lines

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 14 00:45:48 CET 2003

Timo:

Thanks! My pleasure.

>> In the "notes" section there is two wersions of the first panel. The one
>> published in WDC has really sharp lines, as if someone had *reinked* it. Was
>> it remake or were original printing plates used?

It's just a better scan (and maybe a sharper original from which I scanned).
Here's the text undeneath the panel in WDC&S 603:
"This is the first panel of  the first Mickey Mouse daily comic strip. It appears here at 88% of
its original size as drawn. Color has been added."

I have reduced the size to xx %. The actual panel in WDC&S is about 14cm * 12.5cm  (5.5" * 4.92")--
which means the original art was 15.90cm * 14.20cm, ie 6.26" * 5.59". Pretty large.

I also converted it to a gray scale image-- possibly to save disk space, and probably because it
looked better (I prepared this comparison scan several months ago, so I don't remember exactly).

Now I actually compare both images, there's (at least) another difference: white eye-brow lines or
whatever-you-might-call-them around Mickey's eyes on the WDC&S image. It's not that the scanner
didn't pick it up on the other image or that it as blotted out when I resized it: there just isn't
such a line on the strip I have. Maybe it disappeared when it was published (or when it was
reprinted).

There is a larger version of this first strip on M&D's Ub Iwerks Centennial page:
http://ob7.free.fr/mice_and_ducks/events/ui100.html
http://ob7.free.fr/mice_and_ducks/tc/mdl/md3001st.gif
The white line you can see aboce Mickey's right cheek shouldn't be there actually: it must be a
white speck I didn't notice-- how ironical! I'll replace this large scan with the newer, nicer,
cleaner one I have now, and link to it in the Notes as soon as I can.

Olivier