Tello

Simo Malinen malines24 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 16 18:26:31 CET 2003

ROB KLEIN:
>For Sigvald: As stated by Soeren, Josep Tello Gonzalez produced a large
>portion (if not most) of Egmont's Mickey Mouse and Goofy stories from the
>early 1970s through much of the 1980s.  It is clear that he was partly
>inspired by Murray's style.  If you mistook that one story for Paul
>Murray's work, and want to find more of the same, you should look up Tello
>stories in INDUCKS. If I were you, I would look at all his Mickey stories
>of 13 or more pages (as those are large enough to capture the feel of
>Murray's Mickey/Goofy adventures. You must realise, that he teamed with a
>wider range of writers than did Murray (many of whose stories were written
>by the great Carl Falberg).  To me, a few of the longer stories drawn by
>Tello were very good, but others were not.  You can click on the D-code, to
>see what individual magazines, in which countries, contained those stories.
>  Then, you can identify the Norwegian and Danish comic books that
>contained them.  Several of them were not printed in Norway, but you can
>get the Danish printings (which I know you can read).

If you think it's easy to mix Murry and Tello - then you
have also a great change to mix Tello with some other artists.
Some Anders Sorensen also draw a couple shorter Murry-like
fillers, but from the late 1970's to the end of the 80's
especially Antonio Bancells did almost as much stories as
Tello did.

http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/murry_et_co.html

If talking about longer stories (12-25 pages) printed in parts
both Tello and Bancells draw some 50 stories each (total for
both ca. 100 stories).

By my opinion in the 70's the stories and the scripts Tello's
draw were rather naive and clearly aimed for the younger readers
(as well as stories by Danish Nils Rydahl and Adrian Sorensen)
But somehow the style of the stories turned to more mature in
the late 70's and I think Tello did his best works from that
time to the somewhere middle of the 80's.

But back to Murry: I think it's a true shame the Finnish weekly
has almost turned to a pure DUCK retro magazine. No more Paul Murry
stories are printed. Some Ferioli time to time but mostly just
Manuel Gonzales strips and some dusty looking mutilated Gottfredson
pages.

- Simo