Pete and Goofy as "fathers"

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Jan 20 21:58:55 CET 2003

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. said:
> ...replaced by an obscure(*) Goofy film.
> In this film both Goofy and Black Pete
> (who was a non-criminal) had sons, but
> there wasn't shown any wifes/mothers.

> I can believe that Pete could get a son
> sometime since his girlfriend Trudy allready
> has been introduced. But I can't see how he
> could quit being criminal.

> And when it comes to Goofy I find it very
> strange that he can have a son without
> being involved with a woman. IMO such logical
> flaws reduces to quality of the film.

The show you are talking about is an episode of
the WDTA series called GOOF TROOP entitled
"Have Yourself A Goofy Little Christmas" which
was alternately called "A GOOF TROOP CHRISTMAS"
as a Christmastime special.  It originally aired
in the USA in 1996.

In the series GOOF TROOP, both Pete and Goofy
take on the roles as "fathers."  Their backstory
is that Goofy, Pete and Pete's wife, Peg, all
went to High School together and Pete was a football
star, while Peg and Goofy were in the Cheer Leader
squad.  Goofy never quite understood that Pete
really didn't like him, but Peg always liked Goofy.
They grew up in the town of Spoonerville.

After high school, Pete and Peg married, and
eventually had a son, P.J. (Pete Junior) and a
daughter, Pistol and acquired a pet Pekingese
girl dog named Chainsaw.  Goofy left Spoonerville
and eventually married and had a son named Max
which is apparently short for "Maximum" Goof
(a.k.a. Goofy Junior).  We are never told what
happened because it is never mentioned, but somehow
Goofy became a single father and was left to raise
Max by himself.  Goofy and Max, and their tabby
cat Waffles, moved back to Spoonerville and purchased
a house from Peg, who is a real estate agent, which
just happened to be right next to the Petes.

P.J. and Max soon become best friends, and Goofy
still thinks he and Pete are as well.  Peg is
the Mistress of the Pete household and has Pete
almost completely under her control, though Pete
still manages to terrorize Goofy, but his hijinx
always seem to backfire as Goofy manages to befuddle
his own brand of goofy terrorizing of Pete's life.
Pete was more in the role of the bad neighbor like
in the cartoon, "The New Neighbor" (August 1, 1953)
where he annoyed Donald Duck.

It was a GREAT series and sadly missed.

As for the comments about Pete and Goofy never having
had children before, this is true of comics (except
for two stories), but not of the old cartoons.

Starting with "Fathers are People" (Oct. 21, 1951)
Goofy had a series of animated shorts which featured
a little red headed son known as "Goofy Jr."  and
one cartoon in particular, "The Goofy Adventure Story"
was published as a comic in Four Color # 857 (Nov. 1957)
I am aware that in some countries, however, Goofy Junior
was replaced by Goofy's nephew Gilbert, but not in
this USA printing.  The Goofy Adventure Story, as I
recall, was not one of the actual "shorts", but like
"This is Your Life, Donald Duck" (Mar. 11, 1960), was
a Television special probably originally aired on THE
WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY show.

Also, Bad Pete had a son in the cartoon "Bellboy Donald"
(Dec. 18, 1942)and possibly in "Fathers are People" (Oct.
21, 1951) and "Father's Week End" (June 20, 1953).  The
cartoon "Bellboy Donald" was published as a comic story
in "Walt Disney's Comics and Stories" #21 (June, 1942)
complete with Pete Junior.

As for Goofy's involvement with the ladies, both in
cartoons and in comics he's had a few (Aunt Marissa,
Glory-Bee and, sadly, Clarabelle come to mind).

Hope that helps,

Rich Bellacera