Sigvald and Don Rosa

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Mon Jan 27 12:51:44 CET 2003

	Hey guys,

	I'm witnessing some unintended confusion going on in this discussion
of Don Rosa's "On a Silver Platter". Let me try to clarify a few things.

	SIGVALD:
	Mau Heymans' involvement with this story came at the *pencil* stage.
To paraphrase Jakob Soderbaum's website: the Dutch editors had Mau Heymans
draw (or redraw?) a lot of the pencil art to Page 1, to show Don the kind of
art style they wanted. Don then inked Heymans' pencils.
	Sigvald, you seem to believe that Heymans made changes to the
finished inks. He didn't.
	After Don completed the ink art, the Dutch *editors* may have made
minor alterations (as Don called them, "touch-ups") to the pictures or voice
balloons on a photostat COPY of the story. These photostats then became the
"official Dutch version"- in other words, the version that the Dutch put
into print and send out to other publishers who want to order the story from
them.

	DON:
	You said yesterday that "perhaps those photostats... [are] no longer
in existence." Jumpin' jacksnipes! Where'd you hear this?
	Just so you know, various copies of the Dutch photostats do still
exist. One set (which I've personally held in my own hands) is in the Egmont
archives, functioning as our own printing materials on the story. Another
set is still in Holland, acting as the master copy from which the Dutch make
new copies for other publishers.

	David