Scrooge's secretary/secretaries

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Jan 30 19:21:43 CET 2003

Hi all!

In the stories by Carl Barks and Don Rosa a
well grown-up lady, Miss Emily Quackfaster, is
Scrooge's secretary. In Norwegian she's
called "Frk. Vable". However in most Italian
stories in the Donald Pocket books Scrooge has
a much younger secretary with blond hair. In
Norwegian she's also called "Frk. Vable". I
can see a few explanations here:

a)
This is two unrelated characters. The elder
is "Miss Quackfaster", the younger is "Miss
Typefaster", but both is for some reason
called "Frk. Vable" in Norwegian.

b)
This is one character in two versions. The
younger one is just another version of the
secretary because someone in Italy or Egmont
or somewhere else didn't like the Barks/Rosa
version. As for the name, even though it
contradicts Barks and Rosa, Egmont prefer to
give Scrooge's secretary the name "Typefaster"
in stead of the original "Quackfaster".

c)
The younger one is the older one's niece
(daughter of a brother of the older one) and
took over her aunt's job at some point
(a theory for some of our friends here),
they are thus two different characters with
the same last name (In Norwegian I have never
seen any first name for any of them, so I don't
know if they also have an identical first name
in Norwegian).

Well, what's correct?

Sigvald :-)