Not cricket from Pinoochio ?

Shaun Craill scraill at methven.net
Fri Jan 31 01:17:32 CET 2003

>"Not cricket" means something like "not
>according to the (complicated) rules of cricket", hence its association
>with unfair play and breaking the rules.
>
>	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
>	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)

The term 'not cricket' runs a little deeper than this.  Cricket is an
unusual game in that it is designed to ensure an extreme level of fairness,
so much so that you can play a 5 day test match and still end up with a
draw, something that happens reasonably frequently.  When first originated
the game was only played by English gentlemen who prized fair play as a
virtue.  To say something is 'not cricket'  is to make a rebuke from a
superior moral or social position and can be used when you wish to remain
polite but firm in your opposition to something being unfair.

Interestingly the Taliban did not ban cricket because they thought it was a
Pakistani game, while football was banned.

I don't recall seeing a Disney comic story involving a game of cricket.  Has
this ever happened?

Shaun