Walt Kelly surprise in #28

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Jul 12 11:24:30 CEST 2003

JOAKIM GUNNARSON:
> Readers of the scandinavian weekly can expext
> a truly rare gem in #28. (Out now!)
> A 1948 Giveaway Walt Kelly story that I believe
> never has been reprinted anywhere before.

SIGVALD GRØSFJELD JR.:
> Well, I am sure that serious readers as AC Sivebæk, Thomas Lauritsen and
> Søren Krarup Olesen much rather would prefer to see a classic like "Cash
> Flow" that has NOT YET seen print in Denmark and Sweden.

First: Please be more specific. Since this is you, I ASSUME you're talking
about "Cash Flow" by Don Rosa... That's not the only story by that name, you
know. But it seems obvious to me that you are talking about AR 106 "Cash
Flow" here (not about D 96446 "Cash Flow"), because you
a) call it a classic - well, in my opinion it's not, at least not yet, a
classic. Still, it's older than D 96446, and as D 96446 is a one-pager, I
doubt too many would call it a classic. At least yet.
b) say it's not published in Sweden and Denmark, which D 96446 is.
c) are Sigvald.

Now when that is said, on to my comment.

I ASSUME that you have spoken to Anders Christian Sivebæk, Thomas Pryds
Lauritsen and Søren Krarup Olesen about this, since you are so sure?

Well, if that's the view of you serious readers, let me report the case from
the point of view of one unserious reader - me (as the individual I am, I
can't talk for anyone but myself).

First: Let me say, I think it's FABULOUS by Egmont to reprint this. Walt
Kelly is loved by many, and as this story NEVER has been reprinted ANYWHERE
before, since it was GIVEN AWAY to customers by an ice cream parlor in
_1948_, the reprint value is HIGH in my heart!

Second: The Scandinavian weekly is reprinting a Don Rosa story NEXT WEEK.
Why would they print Don Rosa stories in two issues in a row?

Third: In my opinion, "Cash Flow" is not a classic. Well, and certainly not
compaired to a Kelly story.

Fourth: You use as an argument that "Cash Flow" has not been printed in
Sweden or Denmark. Well, neither has this Kelly story. It hasn't been
published ANYWHERE outside the US of A - and there only in an ice cream
shop, 55 years ago. It hasn't been published in Norway before either, you
know.

Fifth: Many Norwegians would probably find use of "Cash Flow" here strange,
as that story was printed not too many years ago. But maybe in a few years?

Well, but don't listen to me. As you already have stated: I, Joakim
Gunnarson, Don Rosa and others liking the work of Kelly are unserious
readers - in contradiction to serious readers like you, Anders Christian,
Thomas and Søren, who would prefer it if Walt Kelly stories were not printed
at all, but left out to leave room for classic - like ten year old Don Rosa
stories.

Best,
Olaf the Blue
unserious reader

PS - to your other mails, Sigvald: Donald Duck magazines containing Don Rosa
stories are extra expensive used in Norway too - and I understand it. People
is willing to do anything to get them - so other people sell them to the
highest price possible. The reason is simple: THERE ARE PEOPLE WILLING TO
PAY THESE PRICES  That's the rules of buying and selling. When people want
something, SELL IT EXPENSIVE