evaluating Gladstone's luck

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Mon Jun 2 03:04:55 CEST 2003

Donald Ault:

>Almost 20 years ago I, too, was thinking about a similar problem and
>published an essay on Gladstone's luck in Set II Volume 3 of the black and
>white *Carl Barks Library* (1984) entitled "Luck's Labors Lost" (pages
>525-26, 640). On page 640 the following statement of mine appears:
>
>"the fragments of the map converging in the whirlpool constitute perhaps the
>most implausible bit of Barks' wizardly in Gladstone's history."

Really! And here Kristian and I each thought we found out something
original! :-)

Well, Professor, I still cannot recall having read that particular essay,
which I'll readily admit is a bad omission and an unforgiveable shortcoming
in my cultural education. I was the last, or second to last, person to
order the complete CBL from Another Rainbow before some of the sets ran out
of print, some 10-15 years ago or whatever. I use them often as reference,
and I read the essays with pleasure, but I haven't made an effort to make
sure I've read them all, nor even 100% of the actual stories... it's nice
to have something left as a surprise one day when you open a book you
haven't seen in a while.

But this topic intrigues me. I'll take out the book at once and read that
essay. I guess I wasn't going to sleep for a while anyway...