DCML Digest #62 & 63

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 23:38:07 CEST 2003

> The only thing that keeps me going is that I recall that one other
adventure
> that I was certain was a dreadful mistake from start to finish was "The
> Guardians of the Lost Library", a story which some readers have said was
> their favorite Duck story ever and a few have even said it was their
> favorite comic book story they'd ever read, period (take that with a grain
> of salt -- you know there's NO accounting for tastes!).

I hope it'll sound less unbelievable if I merely thought it was the best
comic book story of the single paltry year in which it appeared (and voted
for it as such, in whichever awards I voted on that year). (Which is not to
say, necessarily, that it's YOUR best.)

> Any problems with this ML lately
> are definitely not due to just ONE person. One person cannot childishly
> squabble with himself... that takes several people... even if one person
is
> the catalyst.

I confess I've had occasional things to say to a person here who annoys me
(who may or may not be the one others have alluded to). But I've avoided
lengthy squabbles simply by dropping it after one round. If he has a reply
to anything I say, fine, he's entitled, and that's the end of the exchange.
Annoying me isn't a very serious crime, and shouldn't lead to weeks of
back-and-forth in public.

> Yes. I say the author stole the basic plot from a favorite, though
obscure,
> movie of his named "Passport to Pimlico", Ealing Studios, Great Britain,
> 1949. He's always lifting ideas from favorite old movies and old comic
> books. The cad. A pox on him.

If you start with an idea you picked up elsewhere and hang it on different
characters, you'll get a different story -- especially if one of the
additions is as strong as Scrooge. The basic idea is one of the least
important parts of a story. What really counts is the hard work and talent
you put into developing and rendering it.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm