Donald's parents

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Tue Jun 3 10:34:18 CEST 2003

Stefan:
>>[...] Donald's parents do not necessarily have to be dead; they might be
living happily on the other side of the world
sgarciab:
> That's it! In my point of view, they couldn't stand his bad temper ;-)

I can buy that, of a sort.  In the same manner that some parents send their
kids off to some boarding school to be raised, it is not so uncommon that
some parents are less equipped to handle high-spirited children and often
let another relative, very commonly a grand-parent, raise the child.  In
Hortense & Quackmore's case, perhaps Donald proved more than they could
handle and Grandma Duck said, "Let me have Donny for a while."  Hortense &
Quackmore could have had no such discipline problems with Della, so they
continued to raise her themselves.  Meanwhile, H&Q could easily have
visited Donny and Grandma many times over the years while Donald grew to
young adulthood.  At some point, maybe he returned home, or left for the
Naval Academy?  LOL! :-)  Back to being serious, though, it really isn't
that bizarre to imagine parents allowing grandparents to raise their kids,
especially today when so many families become single-parent ones.  Maybe
Egmont is being to narrow-minded about what constitutes a parent (good or
bad) and why some make choices others might never consider.

By extension, I don't see why this same scenario couldn't have played out
with HD&L.... I mean they did almost blow-up their father!  Donald may have
turned out to be much more capable than Della of handling the triplets.

-Rich