About animal faces...

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Jun 7 20:00:00 CEST 2003

Two things I have noticed about animal faces in Duckburg, that has nothing to
do with Carl Barks:

-- In some stories, the species of a character changes. Example given, I saw
some stories in the Norwegian weekly in the 1990's where The Beagle Boys were
shown with "bear" ears instead of "dog" ears - not to mention that Chip and
Dale in translations have been everything from squirrels to rabbits!

-- Some times, the species of a character makes a difference. Even though a
judge is an owl and a person in the audience is a hippo, they still act and
dress like human beings. But in some stories, species DO matter. In
http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/story?I+TL+2012-1B by Rodolfo
Cimino/Alberto Lavoradori, we meet Kingo Kongo, a terrible mountain monster
that suffers from wild goats. Scrooge manages to catch him, and puts him in a
cage and takes entrance money for him. On a farm outside Duckburg, a male and a
female "goat" farmer goes to town to sell some eggs, and decide to go see Kingo
Kongo. As Kingo Kongo sees these two goats, he gets hungry and breaks out from
his cage. In other words - something important happens in this story because of
species. I remember reacting on this the first time I read it, as I believe
this is the first time I saw someone's species actually BEING their species and
not just lines on a paper.

Olaf the Blue
16 days to go