Firebug Artist

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Jun 12 01:13:06 CEST 2003

Frank McSavage did, indeed, draw short beaks.  But I guarantee the artist that
redrew the last two panels was not McSavage.  McSavage always drew his Ducks'
beaks with a circular hole at the outer end, as if the characters were always
whistling. That's one of the main reasons why I dislike his Ducks.  The art in
the last two panels looks very different from his style.  Whoever this artist
is, I like his work better than most (if not all) the other 1940s Western Duck
artists.  His Ducks display expression very, very well.  Frank McSavage's Ducks
expressions were always very weak to me. Actually, the artwork DOES look a bit
like Buettner's work.  Donald's beak is shorter than Buettner's usual, and also
shorter than Barks' beak of the time.  He should have made it 1/4 or 1/5
longer.  Otherwise, I see an attempt to keep the style consistant with Barks'
Ducks in the remainder of the story.  That may account for the difference
between this and Buettner's usual style.  It looks more like Buettner to me
than any of the other Western artists who drew the Ducks in the 1940s.

Rob
Klein