What about a reconstruction of The Firebug? (David, Rob, Luca Boschi, others)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Jun 23 16:59:19 CEST 2003

I wonder how many original panels were replaced in "The Firebug"
(OS 108). And how.

I also would like to know if there's a possibility to have the
original ending reconstructed, with art by Daan Jippes.

SOME NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS

The rhythm of the story's artwork, mostly is that each half page
contains two large panels and three small panels. Exceptions are the
top half of page 1 (which contains one large panel instead of two
large panels), and the bottom half of the last page (which contains
six small panels). As far as I've seen, there are no other exceptions.

I wonder if the bottom half of the last page (13B), originally could
have contained three small panels and two large panels, instead of a
total of six small panels. This could mean that the non-Barks panels
replaced only *one* Barks-panel of Donald being put in jail.

The reason is that, at least at this moment, I wonder why Barks would
have needed two small cramped panels to show Donald being bars. Well,
at least not on the *exact* location of the two replacement panels.

I myself find the "Hooray!"-balloon in panel 13.7 a bit strange, as if
it was added (or taken from elsewhere). Does it look like being done
by Barks? The audience (or is it the jury?) isn't really going wild in
that panel, so the "Hooray!" looks forced to me. Or maybe this panel
could originally have been wider, *showing* the "Hooray!"-shouting
person(s)?

If so, I guess a candidate could be the policeman, brother of firebug
"Benzine". I guess he would be happy to see his brother cured, so he
won't have to keep him locked up for years, again. (This background
information is taken from panel 12.8.)

BTW. The firebug's brother is last seen in panel 12.8, unless he's the
policeman in panel 13.6.

Something else I find strange is the combination of panels 13.7 and
13.8. In panel 13.7, Doctor Carver Beakoff offers to cure firebug
"Benzine". In panel 13.8, the judge doesn't give any comment on that.
Maybe the "Hooray!"-balloon should suggest that all is fine with him,
but it looks a bit forced to me. At least without showing the person(s)
who shouted it.

And, last but not least:

What I don't understand is why firebug Donald would get a different,
harder punishment than firebug Banzoony. Both were dropped on their
heads, as can be concluded from panel 1.5 and 13.6.

"Benzine" Banzoony gets an expensive cure for burning the town.
Donald gets a punishment for setting fire to the judge's wastebasket
and (according to Barks's memory) the courthouse.

So, burning the judge's wastebasket (and the courthouse) apparently has
more importance than burning an entire city. And/or maybe a firebug who
is brother of a policeman gets a different judgement than an average
firebug?

Maybe the story originally had an explanation for that?

BTW. I think the lost ending would at least have contained one or more
nephews. Otherwise they would suddenly disappear before the ending of
the story. (On page 13, they are only shown as silhouettes in panel 13.6.)

--- Daniël