Gemstones

JTorci3511@aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 02:07:38 CEST 2003

I'm not certain whether I should be saddened or wryly amused at the accounts
of the failure of various list members to obtain the first Gemstone releases.

Why?  Because, for the most part, it remains unclear whether or not they are
the victims of shops offering poor service, or whether they could have helped
themselves in this regard.  As with most things, I suspect matter falls
somewhere in between.

My shop, Bailey's Comics of Lindenhurst, NY -- go there if you're ever near
Long Island, NY - had both my copy of WDC&S and my copy of UNCLE SCROOGE... and
one copy of each I'd requested for a friend.

Please note that I PRE-ORDERED these through Diamond's PREVIEWS catalogue.
In this poor business climate, it would be wise for each of you to do the same.
 Just as I previously suggested with the "Free Comic Book Day Donald Duck
Adventures", DON'T rely on your retailer to automatically order copies.  Those
days vanished with the unfortunate speculator craze of a decade ago.

A retailer is not going to risk purchasing a number of relatively expensive
items that might just sit on his racks indefinitely.  So, for anyone who hasn't
done so, take the initiative and pre-order your Gemstones.

It would also help matters if you were able to form some sort of "regular
relationship" with your retailer as well.  That way he or she feels more
comfortable and secure in financing your purchases in advance (...which, let's face
it, is exactly what they do!).

My retailer sees me each week, for a wider variety of comics, and has no
doubt that I will be there when the $ 6.95 (x 4) American Dollars are due for my
Gemstones.  I realize this is not always easy to do -- depending on the
retailer and/or the "other comics interests" of the individual customer... BUT IT
WILL NEVER HURT!

Indeed, my retailer did order an extra copy or two for the racks, since he
KNOWS he is already assured of a minimum copy sale to me.  And who knows, as a
regular, your retailer may even offer you a "good customer discount" or other
special privilege.  So, unless your retailer is a total "doorstop" (...and some
of them CAN BE!), please take my advice -- and pre-order your Gemstones!
It's a win for you, a win for your retailer... and, best of all in the "bigger
picture",  it's a win for Gemstone!

Joe Torcivia.