creators we'd like to see, was: Jeff Smith

Wolfsong wolfsong at mpinet.net
Tue Mar 18 03:42:52 CET 2003

I've been thinking one of the things I liked  that Disney did when they
were publishing the comics themselves was to hire other name talent from
the comic field that wasn't generally associated with "funny animal"
books.  Writers like Len Wein, Marv Wolfman and Peter David.  (Didn't
Wein also serve as EIC?)  Can anyone else think of some of today's major
talent they'd like to see work on a Disney comic?  I've already
mentioned Charles Vess.  I believe Peter David's contributions were
restricted to Roger Rabbit and The Little Mermaid ( he even named one of
his daughters Ariel.), but I bet he could tell a could Duck story.  Neil
Gaiman is diverse enough that I bet he could tell a Mickey Mouse in the
vein of  the Floyd Gottfredson days.  Who else?  I think Brian Michael
Bendis writes people well, I wonder what he could do with ducks.

While I'm following these lines.  I'm really proud of a duck painting I
came into possession of recently.  If you don't know the work of Andy
Lee (www.findandy.com) he combines Chinese Cha'an Buddhist art with
fantasy and comic book themes.  In addition to dragons and spiders he
also draws characters like Batman and Spider-Man.  He'll paint just
about anything you request, and I wanted something different than what
most people were requesting, so I asked if he could do Donald Duck.  To
my utter delight he said yes, and now a very unique interpretation of
Donald adorns my bedroom wall.  I like style changes like this.  To this
day I wish I could have bought that lithograph of Disney Villains in
cubist style that once appeared in the Disney catalog. But alas it was
beyond my wallet's grasp.