DCML Digest Issue 1319

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Mar 28 07:16:49 CET 2003

> From: "Sigvald Gr?sfjeld jr." <sigvald at duckburg.dk>
> Subject: Donald's parents
> In Lo$ part 10 - "The Invader of Fort Duckburg" (1902) Donald's parents
> meets each other for the first time and fall in love.
> In Lo$ part 10b - "The Sharpie of The Culebra Cut" (1906) both Donald's
> mother and her sister Mathilda goes with Scrooge to Panama.
> Donald's father
> is *not* mentioned at all. During this trip Donald's mother shows as great
> interest for "cowboys" as before she met her later husband Quackmore Duck.
> In Lo$ part 11 - "The Empire-Builder from Calisota". Donald's parents are
> first engaged (1909) and then married and with a family (1930).
> Can anyone this time please explain Hortense's behavior in 1906 and why
> Quackmore is not mentioned in that story?

I've read the above several times, and I don't even see what the question is
in your mind. Hortense & Quackmore first met in 1902, but still were not
engaged in 1906. Maybe they were not getting along in 1906, therefore
enabling me to make the cowboy jokes I wanted to make in Panama. Where in
that story did Quackmore need to be mentioned?
You're talking about a hotheaded, hard-to-get-along-with hellion... as well
as the mother of Donald, a guy who has likewise been going with Daisy and
still not engaged and still having fights after nearly 70 years! (Well, at
least 10-15 years in comic-strip-time.)
What's difficult to understand here?