The first Gemstone comic is out!

Andrew Krieg krieg at wi.rr.com
Sun May 4 05:09:58 CEST 2003

Today was "Free Comic Book Day" in the United States.  Comic book stores
around the country were giving out free comics to kids in hopes of
attracting new readers.

I received my monthly package of comics in the mail today, and was surprised
to see my subscription service had included 10 free comics published
especially for today's event.  One of them was a "Donald Duck Adventures"
published by Gemstone.

Gemstone selected to reprint "Boys' and Girls' March of Comics" #4, a free
shoe store giveaway comic from 1947.

Also included in the issue are Gemstone's plans for upcoming comics, which
are probably detailed on their website, but I'll summarize anyway.

"Walt Disney's Comics and Stories" and "Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge" begin
monthly runs in June.

A series of 5 1/2" by 7 1/2", 128 page square bound pocket books begins in
July.  The first book will be "Donald Duck Adventures".  How often these
books will be published isn't specified.  They mention "on a regular basis".

In September, two more monthly comics begin, each being the more traditional
32 page format.  The titles are "Donald  Duck" and "Mickey Mouse".  Both are
said to feature a Donald Duck and a Mickey Mouse story in each issue, plus
other back-ups.

Andrew Krieg
krieg at execpc.com