Gemstone/Gladstone (Distlefink, Daphne & Goosetave, Family tree)

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Wed May 7 04:38:16 CEST 2003

Sigvald:
> And she would probably NOT have Gladstones luck
> since he've got his luck from his mother's side.

Oh?

Well, I see that you and me have a different view on Gladstone's luck,
Sigvald. Try answering this question:

Where does Gladstone's luck come from?
a) His mother
b) His father
c) Somewhere else
d) All of the above

Your answer is A. My answer is D. I believe that Gladstone's luck came from
several places. A lucky star, perhaps. A triple distlefink, could be.
Genetical, supposably. But I believe that someone as extremely lucky as
Gladstone must have his luck from _several_ places.

Yes, we know (from Don Rosa, that is) that Daphne was lucky. But we've never
heard that Goosetave wasn't. With Daphne's luck, she probably got married to
someone as lucky as herself. While what we've seen of Daphne's luck so far
is limited to not being hit by cars and finding diamond rings amongst eggs.
Gladstone's luck is a full-time salary for him.

Look at Goosetave in Don Rosa's Duck family tree. Does he look unfortunate?
Does he look poor? I wouldn't say so. My guess is that he was just as lucky
as his wife.

What causes Gladstone's luck? Hard to say. A triple distlefink is mentioned
by Don Rosa. That could be a part of it, but I doubt that distlefink alone
would keep his luck alive for that long. I think that several things must
play a part here. His mother. His father. His horoscope. But, most of all:
His self-confidence. (yeah, that's MY theory - what Gladstone has that
Donald hasn't, is lots of self-confidence. No matter what Gladstone does, he
knows he can make it.)

Sigvald again:
> Not a niece, Gladstone has no brother or sister in
> Barks' nor in Rosa's "Donald Duck Family Tree".

Well, Scrooge does not have a brother either - but he sure does in the
weeklies. (Well, only in WvH-stories, but still - no harsh Egmont editor has
ever edited this character out, so I would assume that that is the official
Egmont version now?)

I'm having less problems accepting a sister of Gladstone than a brother of
Scrooge.

Best,
Olaf the Blue
www.andebyonline.com